Research and innovation
Explore leading-edge projects that showcase our commitment to research and innovation – supporting continuous improvement of our services, and our progress towards the United Nations Sustainable Development goals.
Our Research and Innovation at Melbourne Water booklet features 31 projects demonstrating technological and innovative excellence. Download a copy for further details and an insight into our future research themes:
Our research portfolio covers all areas of our business, from drinking water to waterway health. Some programs address existing issues, like flood mitigation, pollutants or bushfires, while others prepare us for future issues like climate change and water security.
View a selection of case studies from our current research areas:
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and automation
- Zero emissions
- Wastewater management
- 3D modelling to monitor receiving water quality
- Photogrammetry detecting changes in polymer covers
- Water security
- Healthy waterways
- Citizen scientists helping us understand billabong hydrology
- Lightweight filters reducing heavy sampling loads
- Desilting stormwater wetlands
- DNA bar codes: improving the way we monitor waterway health
- Understanding the health of Western Port
- Chain of ponds: new ground in waterway management
The value of research
Delivering safe and reliable essential services relies on informed decision-making, both strategic and operational. Outcomes-based research ensures these decisions are underpinned by sound science and engineering.
Through research and innovation, we can:
- investigate new technologies for faster or more cost-effective ways to do things
- monitor emerging issues and determine their possible impact on our services
- understand and mitigate risk
- inform regulation and policy based on the best-available science
- provide expert technical advice, including to government agencies
- share information to build capability and common understanding.
This produces tangible benefits that flow directly to our customers and community: more reliable and affordable services, smarter investments, and a more resilient Melbourne that’s better prepared for future challenges.
We’ve been acknowledged for our excellence in innovation two years in a row, with the influential AFR BOSS Most Innovative Companies list naming Melbourne Water among the top five companies in the Government, Education and Not-for-profit category.
For further information on our research program or featured case studies, please contact us.