Metering, pump and offtake guidelines

Under government policy and law, conditions apply to installing and altering meters, pumps and offtakes. Find out the requirements for installing or reinstalling meters, and what you need to apply for a works licence.

Water corporations like Melbourne Water are required to prepare, implement and maintain a metering action plan. Our latest plan outlines our commitment to improving our metering and telemetry assets, and how we manage our processes and share information to ensure water resources are managed effectively. View the full plan or a summary below:



All new diversion licence holders must have meters installed, except those with domestic and stock licences.

Metering helps properly account for water use, and is government policy to improve how we manage water resources. To date, our metering program has seen over 700 meters installed for existing active licence holders.

All water used under your licence must pass through the meter, and you must not interfere with or disconnect it or your licence may be cancelled.

Installing meters

If you need a meter:

  • we will provide the information around costs and process to have a meter installed

  • we will supply you with meters, which remain our property even if they are removed for maintenance and repairs

  • meters must be installed and maintained by certified meter installers and validated under national standards

If you need new or additional meters, you must meet the costs of metering and installation.

Reinstalling meters

If you need your meter reinstalled because your pump arrangements have changed, you must notify us beforehand so we can:

  • coordinate with you for the meter to be correctly installed by a certified meter installer at an appropriate location

  • ensure that the new pump offtake and works arrangements are satisfactory, and they meet your licence conditions

Pumps and offtakes


Under the Water Act 1989, you must apply to us for a works licence if you wish to install or alter pumps and offtakes on a waterway.

All works should minimise impacts on the waterway and surrounding areas to protect the environment and stream flows. Our guidelines have additional information on these requirements:

Applying for a works licence

Your application must include the following documents, so we can properly assess your proposal and issue a valid licence with the correct details:

  • detailed works plans

  • copy of current Certificate of Title for all land listed on the licence

  • company extract not older than three months – if you are applying as a registered company

Works plans should include:

  • siting map for the proposed works showing dimensions and offsets to relevant features

  • construction plans detailing the works and site controls

  • operation and maintenance plan

Current copies of your title are available from LANDATA® and authorised information brokers, or from your solicitor or bank.

Company extracts can be purchased online from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, or from your solicitor.

Land titles – Department of Transport and Planning

Australian Securities and Investments Commission

Native title considerations

All new diversion works on waterways need Native Title referral if:

  • there is a Public Purposes Reserve along the waterway

  • the bed and banks are vested in the Crown

This includes all waterways except those passing through freehold land, where the waterway is not the boundary of an allotment.

Aboriginal Victoria has further information and advice on laws protecting Aboriginal cultural heritage.

Last updated: