Building surveyors and your council won’t issue a building permit unless you have written approval from us to work or build near our assets such as pipes, drains and water mains.
We manage an extensive network of pipes and other resources across Melbourne. Most are on our land, but some may be on or near your property or building site.
Find out more:
What to do when:
- building and renovating - find out what to do if our assets are on your property
- developing - access the right application form for your development
- planning utility and other works - find the right application for your works
Need help? We can help you with what you need to do if you plan on working or building near our assets.
Building, developing and renovating a property
If there are assets on or near your property, you’ll need to email [email protected] for help with providing detailed location information to your council in order to apply for the planning permit.
Use the appropriate application and guidelines for your project:
- read our Building requirements to find out what structures can be built over our assets
- read our Stormwater connection guidelines
- read our Planting guidelines for easements, reserves and floodways
You need our formal approval before you can build or work on any new or existing structure on or near our assets.
There are different application forms and processes depending on the type of development and the asset’s location.
- Build near an asset or easement
- Stormwater connections
- Plant near sewers, drains, waterways and water mains
- Install utilities near sewers, drains, waterways and water mains
- Build a shared path
- Construct a bridge, waterway crossing or culvert
- Minor waterway work
Utility and other works
Councils, authorities and utility companies need our formal approval before working near our assets.
There are different application forms and processes depending on the type of work and the asset’s location.