Melbourne Water has almost completed works to re-line the Church Street stormwater drain in Hawthorn – ensuring the nearly 100-year-old drain continues operating safely for generations to come.
As we finish works in the coming weeks, minor patching will take place along Church Street between Smart Street Reserve and Barkers Road.
About the project
We are re-lining a section of the Church Street stormwater drain under Smart Street Reserve, Hawthorn. Machinery set up around manholes will help feed a new lining, called GeoKrete, into the existing drain to renew its surface.
Works will involve:
- Relining the section of drain between Church Street and College Street
- Creating a new manhole in Smart Street Reserve, near the College Street entrance
- Upgrading the existing manhole near Church Street
- Patching sections of the drain along Church Street:
- from Smart Street Reserve to Barkers Road
- from Smart Street Reserve to Spencer Street.
The drain will be accessed through manholes along Church Street, College Street and Smart Street Reserve, with most works taking place within the reserve.
Please refer to the location map for further information.
New manhole and manhole upgrade works
Drain re-lining and patch work
Expected completion mid-2023
Reinstatement of Smart Street Reserve
We understand the value of open spaces to the local community, and have been working closely with Council to ensure Smart Street Reserve is reinstated to its pre-existing condition.
To ensure establishment of turf, Melbourne Water will be completing reinstatement closer to the spring period. Please note that there will be a delay between our crews leaving site and reinstatement taking place.
We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we complete these essential works.
What to expect
Contractors Aqua Metro Services are completing this project on behalf of Melbourne Water. While every effort is made to minimise disruption, during works you may notice:
- Increased vehicle movements in and out of Smart Street Reserve
- Pathway diversions within Smart Street Reserve
- Partial road closures along Smart Street and College Street
- Removal of some small plants near the Church Street end of Smart Street Reserve
- Temporary closure of the closure of the Smart Street Playgrounds during different times throughout the project (signage will be in place)
Melbourne Water understands the value of trees and plants to communities, and will work with council to reinstate the area.
For more information, please contact the project team: