The footbridge over Blind Creek in Fairpark Reserve was built as part of the Reimagining Blind Creek project from Scoresby Road to Manuka Drive in Boronia and Ferntree Gully which was completed in mid-2021. The project included 'daylighting' and naturalising a 650-metre section of Blind Creek which was previously an underground, low-flow pipe with a grassed high-flow channel. The project also included the construction of community infrastructure assets such as shared paths, viewing platforms, stepping stones and a footbridge over Blind Creek. The project was jointly funded between Melbourne Water and Knox City Council.
In 2023, we became aware that there were some concerns with the bridge, and we commissioned an independent assessment which identified the need for some additional works to further strengthen it, and to extend the life of the asset. As soon as this advice was received, we closed the bridge as a precaution and in the best interests of public safety, so that we could determine the next steps.
Works to re-open Blind Creek footbridge happening in early 2024
We're undertaking modification works to strengthen and extend the life of the footbridge. Starting in early 2024, the works will take approximately 10-12 weeks to complete, and the bridge will be re-opened following this.
We have appointed a contractor, BPC Projects, to complete these works on our behalf.
What to expect
- A small site compound will be set up near the bridge.
- A temporary track will be created for vehicles and machinery to access the works zone.
- Work hours will be 7am – 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7am – 1pm on Saturdays. Quiet work and other critical activities (eg. concrete pouring) may occur outside these hours.
- Some minor noise is expected from construction machinery, vehicles and equipment.
- While works on the bridge are underway, please continue to access Wayne Avenue and Fairpark Reserve via the Blind Creek Trail, Manuka Drive and the gravel track that runs along the creek.
We thank you for your patience and co-operation while we undertake these works to re-open the bridge as soon as we can.
Bridge temporarily closed
Late March 2023
Planning and design of bridge modifications
Mid to late 2023
Early to mid 2024
Re-opening of bridge
We are working closely with Knox City Council on plans for longer term arrangements of the bridge, and we’ll continue to keep you updated with this next stage.