We strongly recommend using Google Chrome to complete your online application.
Following recent iOS upgrades, iPhone and iPad users must also change their browser settings to enable cross-website tracking while we work to resolve this issue. For urgent enquiries, please contact us.

​You need our formal approval before you can work on any new or modified stormwater connection.

​Open waterways, channels and underground drains are part of the stormwater system.

Application process

For development, including extensions, works or new structures that require a new stormwater connection, you need to contact your council. They will nominate the legal point of stormwater discharge.

If your local council nominates one of our drains or watercourses as the legal point of discharge, you must apply to us for approval.

For upgrades to existing connections to our stormwater system, you will need to apply to us.

Any works undertaken without Melbourne Water approval will be considered illegal under the Water Act.

Approvals from other authorities

We may need evidence of approvals from other authorities or private owners who may be affected by your works.

Check that you comply with other laws that may affect your development, such as Special Building Overlay and Land Subject to Inundation Overlay.

Check connection requirements

All work on new or modified stormwater connection into our drains, waterways or open drainage channels must meet our technical requirements.

Documents required

Your application should include:

  • a legal point of discharge advice from council

  • preliminary plans

  • additional approvals from other authorities or private owners who may be affected by your works

  • any other documents that are relevant to your proposal


If we approve your stormwater connection, we will send you a letter outlining any specific conditions you must meet as part of our approval.

You must respond with a written acceptance to comply with our conditions and pay the relevant fees.

Prior to the commencement of works on Melbourne Water’s asset, the contractor must contact Melbourne Water’s Asset Services Team on (03) 9679 6614 for approval/permits on a live asset(s). Penalties apply for unauthorised works.

All contractors who carry out works on live assets are required to have a Permit to work.  For underground drains and concrete can only be performed by our Preferred Contractors.

Inspections may be required at different stages of the works, a letter of approval will confirm this requirement.

Please refer to inspection of work.


The process may take up 28 days to assess your application and respond.

Incomplete applications may be delayed or returned requesting additional information.

Fees (non-refundable)

Fees differ depending on the type of stormwater connection you require. We will advise you of the amount once we assess your application. 

Please note this application fee is non-refundable.

Fees and security for construction, works and connections.

Guidelines or standards

There are two types of connections – stormwater inlet (underground drains) and stormwater outlet to an open waterway or drain. All work must meet our technical requirements:

Stormwater connection guidelines

Last updated:
19 November 2019