If you are planning to perform minor works on waterways you must get our consent.

​Work may include:

  • bank stabilisation – repairing beds and banks that have eroded or collapsed due to the natural elements
  • desilting – removing silt deposits or from around structures
  • bore hole testing, monitoring or other works

To prevent further erosion of waterway beds and banks or protect a property there are specific engineering solutions. You will need to engage a qualified engineer to submit a detailed design for approval.

Any works undertaken without Melbourne Water approval will be considered illegal under the Water Act.

Application process

Documents required

To apply for our consent for your proposed works, we need the following information:

  • brief description of proposed works
  • detailed engineering drawings
  • work method statement
  • site location
  • location details
  • reasons for removal or reinstatement
  • schedule of works
  • environmental reports (AAV, cultural AAV)
  • environmental reports
  • geotechnical reports
  • a site-specific survey

Approval process

If we approve your application, we will send you a letter outlining any specific conditions you must meet as part of our approval.

You must respond with a written acceptance to comply with our conditions, and pay the relevant fees.

All contractors who carry out works on live assets are required to have a Permit to work.

Inspections may be required at different stages of the works (a letter of approval will confirm this requirement).


We are currently receiving a high volume of applications due to growth in demand for our services, which has unfortunately created significant delays. We acknowledge your patience and will make every effort to process your applications as soon as we can. View our current processing times.


Fees differ depending on the proposed work. We will advise you of the amount once we assess your application.

Please note this application fee is non-refundable.

Fees and security for construction, works and connections

Contact us

If you need any help completing this application, contact us on 131 722.

Last updated: