If you’re planning to build over or near any of our easements or underground assets you’ll need to get our consent before starting any work.

We generally don't allow structures to be built over our assets, including sewers, drains, water mains and any other underground assets.  This is to help avoid any damage or community disruption. Other authorities may have to give their approval too.

Structures built near our assets must meet our standard clearance requirements and foundation criteria to protect our assets. This ensures the proposed structures and existing pipe networks are built to our standards.


Types of structures

We will consider the construction of:

  • removable carports - minimum of three open sides with flat roof

  • concrete driveways and pavers

  • wooden fences parallel to, or crossing our assets

We won’t allow:

  • habitable structures such as buildings, extensions

  • above or in-ground swimming pools

  • permanent structures

  • brick fences crossing any of our assets

Application process

Documents required

You'll need the following information for your application:

  • contact details – email, phone and postal address

  • location of the development, including a Melway, VicRoads or VicMap number

  • short description of your planned development

  • copy of your Certificate of Title

  • preliminary plans, including standard drawings

  • survey plans of the property (optional)

  • photographs of the area affected (optional)

Preliminary plans

Your preliminary plans help us to assess your application. They need to show:

  • structure type, specifications, general dimensions and clearances

  • location of the structure within the property

  • proposed and existing structures, showing the offset or distance from easement and our assets

  • details of landscaping, including location and types of plants

  • any proposed service crossing of our assets

  • footing details including type and depth

  • detailed plans of the development including any driveways, landscaping and fencing

  • relevant standard drawings

Please ensure any specifications comply with our building requirements for works around our assets and easements.

Approval process

You can’t start building without our approval. If we approve the works, we will send you a letter outlining any specific conditions you must meet as part of our approval and any relevant fees.

Before giving our approval we may also need evidence of approvals from other authorities that may be affected by your works.

Before starting work you must enter into a Building Agreement with us that defines liability and ongoing maintenance. Agreements will be delivered electronically via a highly secure, encrypted online platform. This will enable faster execution of agreements and eliminates the need paper agreements. You may be required to respond with a written acceptance to comply with our conditions.

You may also be required to:

  • provide evidence of approvals from other authorities affected by your works

  • prior to the commencement of works on Melbourne Water’s asset, the contractor must contact Melbourne Water’s Asset Services Team on 131 722 for approval/permits on a live asset(s). Penalties apply for unauthorised works.

  • ensure that all contractors who carry out works on live assets may be required to have a permit to work

  • allow inspections at different stages of the works (letter of approval will confirm this requirement)

For inspection of work, please refer to the following link:

Inspection of work

Check you comply with other laws that may affect your development, such as Special Building Overlay and Land Subject to Inundation Overlay.

Any works undertaken without Melbourne Water approval will be considered illegal under the Water Act.


We are currently receiving a high volume of applications due to growth in demand for our services, which has unfortunately created significant delays. We acknowledge your patience and will make every effort to process your applications as soon as we can. View our current processing times.

Fees (non-refundable)

Fees differ depending on the proposed work. We will advise you of the amount once we assess your application. 

Fees and security for construction, works and connections

Please note this application fee is non-refundable.

Guidelines or standards

Use our build over guidelines to help prepare your plans:

Building requirements

Contact us

If you need any help to complete this application, contact us 131 722

Last updated: