The fundamental principle underpinning the Drinking Water Quality Strategy is that Melbourne Water must continue to provide the community, with safe, secure world-class drinking water.
This is a functional strategy that outlines the initiatives and action programs required to deliver the following outcomes:
- The community continues to receive safe, secure, affordable, world-class drinking water
- 'Source waters' are managed to ensure the provision of affordable and high quality drinking water now and into the future
- Our customers understand and value our leadership and innovation in managing our drinking water sources.
Meeting the challenges
We will continue to provide the community with safe, secure world-class drinking water at the most economical means whilst meeting existing and future challenges:
- maintaining existing system performance – ensuring our inherited legacy of a low cost/low treatment system is protected for current and future generations
- growth – increasing risk of incursion on to closed catchment sources and also providing the opportunity to use economically-attractive alternative sources proving effective water quality controls are in place
- climate change – impacting on the quality and availability of source water
- changing regulatory standards – adoption of health-based targets will lead to enhanced examination of our system barriers and may lead to improvement requirements.
Want to know more? Download the Drinking Water Strategy: