Victoria’s Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives the public a right to apply for access to documents in Melbourne Water's possession unless exempt.
You can apply online using our easy online application and payment process.
Before you apply
Before you apply, we suggest you:
- read about our documents in our Part II Information Statement
- visit the Victorian Information Commissioner's website.
- request access to documents dated since 1978 of a non-personal nature about work Melbourne Water has done, is doing or plans to do, and our policies, decisions and actions
- request access to documents about your personal affairs and if necessary have them amended.
Some documents are exempt from release, for example if they:
- contain trade secrets
- may affect legal proceedings
- affect personal privacy.
How long will your request take
We must make and communicate to you a decision on your request within 30 days unless extended in accordance with the Act.
The period starts when
- your request is viewed as sufficiently clear for us to process
- your application fee has been paid or evidence has been provided to waive the fee
and where relevant
- we receive your deposit payment.
Fees and charges
When you apply you must pay the $29.60 application fee (from 1 July 2019). Our online application form shows the payment methods we accept.
Access charges (for searching, making copies of and preparing documents) may apply to your request. We apply these charges in accordance with the Freedom of Information (Access Charges) Regulations 2014.
If we estimate charges will be more than $50.00, we will advise you of our estimated charges and request a deposit before we process the request.
If the charges are less than $50.00, we will let you know the payable charges when we send you our decision.
Or write to us
Freedom of Information Officer
PO Box 4342
Melbourne Vic 3001