Liveable Communities, Liveable Waterways makes it easier for you to partner with Melbourne Water because you can apply for an incentive at any time during the year.
Before you complete your online application, please make sure you have reviewed the eligibility criteria on Program guidelines. We recommend you speak to a Melbourne Water representative to discuss your idea before commencing your application.
Application and funding process
For your best chance of success
Make sure you follow these six steps:
- Confirm you meet the eligibility criteria on Program guidelines.
- Confirm your application is aligned with the Program principles on Program guidelines.
- Confirm your application responds to one or more of the Program themes on Program guidelines.
- Check the FAQs in Resource hub to ensure you've covered all legal, financial and locational considerations.
- Contact your Melbourne Water representative to discuss your project idea.
- Based on advice from your Melbourne Water representative proceed to Apply Online via the Smartygrants portal:
If you need more information, advice or assistance about applying for funding, get in touch with your regional officer by calling our Customer Service Centre on 131 722 or emailing: [email protected]
When will you know if your application is successful?
The average time to be notified on the outcome of your submitted application is 12 weeks.
Application assessment turnaround time will depend on the level of complexity, any site visit/s deemed necessary and any internal referrals required within Melbourne Water.
If your grant application is approved for funding, you will be contacted in writing by Melbourne Water and invited to enter into an agreement for the grant. At that time, you may accept and return the signed agreement by the given deadline or decline the funding by notifying Melbourne Water. The agreement will include an attachment detailing all funded items. Your agreement must be returned by the due date shown on your agreement document or the funding offer may lapse.
If your application is unsuccessful you will be notified by Melbourne Water in writing. You are also encouraged to contact us to find out more about why your application was unsuccessful by contacting Melbourne Water on 131 722.
FAQs: submitting your online application
How do I know if my application has been submitted?
Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a copy of your application and an application ID. Please use this ID number for all communications with Melbourne Water.
How do I get help to complete my application online?
See Smartygrant's Applicant Help site for step-by-step instructions on navigating the application process, including:
- registering an account and logging in
- resetting your password
- viewing your previous submissions
- saving and resuming applications in progress
If you experience difficulties while completing your online application via the Smarty Grants platform please phone our Customer Service Centre on 131 722 and one of our Melbourne Water representatives can assist you.