If your land adjoins Melbourne Water freehold land, we may agree to reimburse half the cost of constructing an approved boundary fence. If we've already approved your quotes you need to apply to be reimbursed for fence construction:
To apply for half-share fencing you must meet the criteria for proposed fencing materials and dimensions. If your property borders Crown land you will not be eligible for half-share fencing.
We will pay for the following types of fences:
- standard paling fences 1.6 or 1.9 metres high
- farm fencing – rural areas only or where appropriate
- chain mesh fencing – where appropriate
Note: the owner is responsible for the maintenance of fences.
We will not contribute to the cost of:
- colorbond fencing
- retaining walls
- vegetation removal
To apply for half share fencing, you must provide:
- a sketch plan with fence location, dimensions and length
- minimum of two quotes from fencing contractors (we do not build fences)
- photos confirming the condition of the existing fence
- photos confirming the removal of vegetation alongside the fence
If we approve your application, our confirmation letter will specify the quote and contractor we have approved (usually the lowest quote supplied).
Please do not proceed with fencing works until you receive a confirmation letter from us.
We are currently receiving a high volume of applications due to growth in demand for our services, which has unfortunately created significant delays. We acknowledge your patience and will make every effort to process your applications as soon as we can. View our current processing times.
There is a no fee for this service.
If you need any help completing this application, contact us on 131 722.