To continue our important work of maintaining and improving our infrastructure and assets, Melbourne Water will be conducting corrosion protection works on the Patterson Lakes tidal gates. This work will involve re-coating the gates with an anti-corrosive paint.
The tidal gates are located at Whalers Cove (Tidal Waterways), Runaway Bay (Marina) and Town Centre. These large mechanical gates serve to protect the community from localised flooding.
Why is this work necessary?
To ensure safe and reliable operation of the Patterson Lakes Tidal Gates, Melbourne Water undertakes a regular maintenance regime. Every three months, divers inspect and descale the gates with minimal impact to boat users. In addition, every five years anti corrosion works are required. This work is necessary to prevent corrosion of the gates.
What do these works involve?
The corrosion protection works involve re-coating the tidal gates with an anti-corrosive paint. To allow for painting, the following activities will take place:
- Installation of drop boards to block sea water and allow for the gates to dry completely
- Desilting and cleaning of the gates
- Preparation and painting the gates with anti-corrosive paint
Prior to these works, some pre-work activities are required, this includes:
- Ground investigation works in the areas where cranes will be placed
- Construction of temporary access tracks and platforms to enable workers to safely conduct their activities
- Drop board testing
This work will be staged over the next three years, during the winter months and outside of snapper season. Each of the gates will take several weeks to complete and will need to be closed during this time.
|1||Whalers Cove||Mid 2019|
|2||Runaway Bay||Mid 2020|
|3||Town Centre||Mid 2021|
We are committed to working with the local community to manage tidal gate closures and minimise impact to residents and boat users. Please note, we are still in the planning stages for this project and the above timings are subject to change.
What to expect
Melbourne Water will make every effort to minimise impacts on community as we complete these works, however you may notice some:
- Intermittent closures of the Dandenong Creek Trail
- Increased truck movements through the access points to the tidal gates
- Partial closure of the tidal gate at Whalers Cove
- Complete closure of Runaway Bay and Town Centre tidal gates during maintenance works
Pop-up information stands
In May, we will have two pop-up information stands at the Patterson Lakes Community Centre to provide community with an opportunity to meet the project team and ask questions.
|Pop up session 1||Wednesday 1 May 2019 6.00pm to 8.30pm||Patterson Lakes Community Centre, 54-70 Thompson Rd, Patterson Lakes|
|Pop up session 2||Saturday 4 May 2019 11.00am to 2.00pm||Patterson Lakes Community Centre, 54-70 Thompson Rd, Patterson Lakes|