Experience the Western Treatment Plant at Werribee, and discover the historical and environmental importance of this fascinating site.
We offer guided group tours, available to school, tertiary and community groups.
Our tour program is aligned to the Victorian curriculum, and includes the:
- key stages of the sewage treatment process
- natural and urban water cycle
- world-renowned wetlands and biodiversity
- heritage values of the site.
Tours for VCE Study Designs and tertiary students feature real-world case studies suited to:
- Environmental Science
- Outdoor and Environmental Studies
- Systems Engineering
- education and STEM-related tertiary courses.
We are launching a brand-new Western Treatment Plant learning experience. Make sure you subscribe to our WaterEd newsletter to be notified of when bookings become available.
See where half of Melbourne’s sewage is treated as you travel this vast site by bus. School groups can complement their tour with additional education activities, which you can select when you make a booking.
You can also add an optional visit to the neighbouring Ramsar-listed wetlands and learn about the importance of biodiversity. Note that due to its length, this 2-hour tour is not suitable for primary and lower secondary students.
Bring the plant straight to you via our Western Treatment Plant virtual tour. An experienced Melbourne Water educator will lead this interactive session.
We offer two session types:
- 45–60 minutes: suitable for upper primary and secondary students
- 1.5–2 hours: for VCE, tertiary students and community groups.
Please note that there will be a price increase for 2024 tours – more information to be released soon.
- Costs vary depending on group and session type.
- Prices are quoted per person and include GST.
- Cancellations with less than 5 business days’ notice incur a $60 fee.
School groups visiting the Western Treatment Plant will be charged an additional $4.00 per student for each educational activity, selected when making your booking.
|Group type||Group size||Length||Cost||Min. booking fee|
|Years 3-9||Up to 90||1 hr||From $4.00||$190|
|Years 10-12||Up to 90||2 hrs||$8.00||$190|
|TAFE, tertiary and community||10-30||1-2 hrs||$8.00–12.00||$225|
|Virtual tour||10-70||1-2 hrs||$0.00||$0.00|
Prepare for your visit
Before your visit, read the following information and complete our venue and safety form before you arrive.
All tours will be cancelled on days of very poor or hazardous air quality.
We are committed to the safety of all visitors to our sites. When visiting our tour sites, we ask that you strictly follow these safety rules at all times:
- wear closed-toe, flat-soled shoes – sandals and thongs are not permitted on site
- wear long pants/trousers
- stay with your tour guide at all times
- while on tour do not climb on or over railings
- do not touch any machinery or equipment
- do not run.
The Western Treatment Plant treats sewage, which contains many micro-organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites. When visiting the plant:
- avoid contact with sewage and sewage-related products wash your hands before leaving the plant or eating
- do not eat or drink during the tour
- wash any contaminated clothing separately to your normal washing
- cover any open wounds, and report any minor cuts or abrasions that occur while onsite to Melbourne Water
- wear appropriate clothing for all weather conditions as activities are conducted outdoors.
Student supervision and discipline is the school’s responsibility, and teachers and adults accompanying school groups should actively supervise students at all times.
We reserve the right to cancel a booked tour and ask individuals or groups to leave the site immediately if any action or behaviour is unsafe.
- Venue and safety form
Download and return a signed copy of the relevant form when you arrive for your tour:
Bookings for 2024 will open soon