'What does Melbourne Water do,' you ask? In a nutshell, Melbourne Water manages and protects our city's major water resources, which in turn makes our city a fantastic place to live.
On any given day we:
- manage water supply catchments, supplying affordable and high-quality water
- treat and supply drinking and recycled water
- remove and treat most of Melbourne’s sewage, ensuring that sewerage is reliable
- manage waterways and major drainage systems in the Port Phillip and Westernport region
- provide integrated drainage and flood management services
- help to create outstanding natural community spaces.
Watch this overview of how we enhance life and liveability for Melbourne, or read the Melbourne Water 101.
How we operate
The Minister for Water, in consultation with the Treasurer, appoints our Board of Directors.
The Essential Services Commission reviews and determines our prices through a pricing submission every five years.
The way we deliver our projects and services is guided by our vision and values.
We are committed to enhancing life and liveability for the greater Melbourne region. Our strategic direction outlines this vision in three areas:
Our three core values guide what we do and how we treat each other, and are integral to the way we do business.
We believe in care, integrity and courage:
- care - we put safety and wellbeing first at all times
- integrity - we are open and transparent in everything we do
- courage - we encourage each other to be confident and innovative.