High quality water is important to us. We work hard at making Melbourne’s water clean and healthy.
We’re proud of the fact that we are able to provide some of the world’s best drinking water to Melburnians on a daily basis.
Some of the things we do:
- we constantly monitor and research Melbourne’s rivers and creeks
- we sample water at over 100 waterway monitoring sites
- in summer, we test key recreational sites for E. coli and blue green algae
- we regularly test water being transferred into businesses and homes
- each year we test over 500,000 samples
Our healthy water data
The water storage and rainfall data we collect informs how we continue to maintain our waterways and drinking water as our population grows and climate change impacts increase. We use:
- river health data by catchment
- waterway water quality data
- drinking water quality data
- released treated sewerage data