Western Treatment Plant re-opening to birdwatchers
We’re excited to announce that the Western Treatment Plant will re-open to birdwatching permit holders on Monday 29 November from 9am.
To ensure the ongoing safety of our staff and the provision of essential services, all visitors (including birdwatchers) to Melbourne Water sites (including the Western Treatment Plant) must abide by COVID safe practices, including Melbourne Water’s updated COVID-19 vaccination policy.
COVID Vaccination requirements
- To access the site, birdwatchers must maintain a current vaccination status, which means that an individual has received both an initial vaccination against COVID-19 and any subsequent vaccinations or boosters that are required or recommended by the Australian Commonwealth Government or a state or territory government to maintain immunity against COVID-19.
- Birdwatchers may visit the Western Treatment Plant with a medical exemption evidenced by an authorised medical practitioner.
- Birdwatchers may be asked to provide evidence of their current vaccination status or medical exemption. Spot checks of visitors (including birdwatchers) will be conducted.
- All guests of permit holders must also comply with Melbourne Water’s COVID-19 vaccination policy. As the permit holder, you are solely responsible for any guests while on site.
Other COVID safe practices
- All birdwatchers, including guests of permit holders, are expected to individually sign in when entering the site by scanning a QR code. Signage explaining this process will be positioned at each entry to the site. Birdwatchers are not required to register their visit through our Customer Service Centre.
- Maintain social distancing and where this is not possible wear a mask, such as in bird hides.
- Maintain good hand hygiene
Other important information
- The Paradise Rd toilets will be open to birdwatchers.
- In addition to complying with Melbourne Water’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, birdwatching permit conditions are detailed here:
To receive the latest news about birdwatching at the site, please follow the Western Treatment Plant YourSay page.
If you have any queries in the meantime, please contact our Customer Service Centre: