Discover cutting-edge plant design and technology and get up to speed on recycled water production on an excursion to the Eastern Treatment Plant.
Bookings for 2022
We are not running tours in 2022. Safety is the utmost priority at this operational site, and we will continue evaluating the situation with respect to our COVIDSafe plans. In the meantime, we are offering guided virtual tours of the Western Treatment Plant. These can be tailored to include a comparison of the two plants – simply note your interest in the Eastern Treatment Plant when making your booking.
To stay informed, subscribe to our WaterEd newsletter.
Book your visit
The two-hour tours must be pre-booked, and can be arranged on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 10am to 12pm or 12.30pm to 2.30pm.
Tours will be cancelled on days of Extreme or Code Red Fire Danger ratings. Tours will also be cancelled if the temperature is forecast to exceed 35°C.
A walking tour of the Eastern Treatment Plant is the best way for secondary school, TAFE and tertiary students to experience first-hand the sewage treatment process to support units of work around wastewater treatment.
They will gain insight into the plant’s sustainability features, including renewable energy and recycled water production. These tours can be combined with a trip to the Edithvale-Seaford Wetland Education Centre.
Unfortunately, Eastern Treatment Plant tours are not suitable for primary school students.
Tertiary and community groups
Eastern Treatment Plant tours are also available to industry and community groups, TAFE and tertiary students. Tours provide a unique opportunity to learn about:
- treating sewage, including the primary and secondary treatment processes
- capturing biogas to create electricity
- the tertiary upgrade that sees an advanced treatment process use ozone, biological filters and UV to produce high quality recycled water.
Note: These tours are not available to the general public.
Costs vary depending on group and visit type. Prices are quoted per person and include GST.
|Group type||Max. group size||Cost (incl. GST)||Min. booking fee|
|Secondary school groups (Years 7-12)||50||$8.00||$190|
|Combined tour with ESWEC visit (Years 7-12)||35||$14.00||$190|
|TAFE and tertiary groups||45||$8.70||$225|
|Community and industry groups||45||$8.70||$225|
A cancellation fee of $60 applies with less than 5 business days notice.
Things to know before you go
We are committed to the safety of all visitors to our sites.
When visiting our tour sites, we ask that you strictly follow these safety rules at all times:
- wear closed-toe, flat-soled shoes – sandals and thongs are not permitted on site
- wear a long-sleeved top and long pants/trousers
- wear a high visibility vest and safety glasses as provided by your guide
- stay with your tour guide at all times during the tour
- do not climb on or over railings
- do not touch any machinery or equipment
- do not run
- no flash photography is allowed
- switch off mobile phones while on tour
The Eastern Treatment Plants treats sewage, which contains many micro-organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites. When visiting the plant:
- avoid contact with sewage and sewage-related products
- wash your hands before leaving the plant or eating
- do not eat or drink during the tour
- wash any contaminated clothing separately to your normal washing
- cover any open wounds, and report any minor cuts or abrasions that occur while onsite to Melbourne Water
- wear appropriate clothing for all weather conditions as activities are conducted outdoors
Student supervision and discipline is the school's responsibility, and teachers and adults accompanying school groups should actively supervise students at all times. Students should not be unsupervised at any time.
We reserve the right to cancel a booked tour, and ask individuals or groups to leave the site immediately if any action or behaviour is unsafe.
Complete our venue and safety form
Download and return a signed copy of the relevant form when you arrive for your tour: