Discover cutting-edge plant design and technology and get up to speed on recycled water production on an excursion to the Eastern Treatment Plant.
We offer tours for:
- secondary schools
- TAFE and tertiary students
- industry and community groups.
Tours are not available to the general public and are not suitable for primary school students.
Bookings for 2022
We are not running tours in 2022. Safety is the utmost priority at this operational site, and we will continue evaluating the situation with respect to our COVIDSafe plans.
In the meantime, we are offering guided virtual tours of the Western Treatment Plant. These can be tailored to include a comparison of the two plants – simply note your interest in the Eastern Treatment Plant when making your booking.
To stay informed, subscribe to our WaterEd newsletter.
What you’ll learn
Tours provide a unique opportunity to learn about:
- treating sewage, including the primary and secondary treatment processes
- capturing biogas to create electricity
- the tertiary upgrade that sees an advanced treatment process use ozone, biological filters and UV to produce high-quality recycled water
- the plant’s sustainability features, including renewable energy and recycled water production.
Costs vary depending on group and visit type. Prices are quoted per person and include GST. A cancellation fee of $60 applies with less than 5 business days’ notice.
|Group type||Max. group size||Cost (incl. GST)||Min. booking fee|
|Secondary school groups (Years 7-12)||50||$8.00||$190|
|Combined tour with ESWEC visit (Years 7-12)||35||$14.00||$190|
|TAFE and tertiary groups||45||$8.70||$225|
|Community and industry groups||45||$8.70||$225|
Prepare for your visit
Booked your tour to the Eastern Treatment Plant? Make sure to read the following information and complete our venue and safety form before you arrive.
We are committed to the safety of all visitors to our sites.
When visiting our tour sites, we ask that you strictly follow these safety rules at all times:
- wear closed-toe, flat-soled shoes – sandals and thongs are not permitted on site
- wear a long-sleeved top and long pants/trousers
- wear a high visibility vest and safety glasses as provided by your guide
- stay with your tour guide at all times during the tour
- do not climb on or over railings
- do not touch any machinery or equipment
- do not run
- no flash photography is allowed
- switch off mobile phones while on tour.
The Eastern Treatment Plants treats sewage, which contains many micro-organisms including bacteria, viruses and parasites. When visiting the plant:
- avoid contact with sewage and sewage-related products
- wash your hands before eating or leaving the plant
- do not eat or drink during the tour
- wash any contaminated clothing separately to your normal washing
- cover any open wounds, and report any minor cuts or abrasions that occur while onsite to Melbourne Water
- wear appropriate clothing for all weather conditions as activities are conducted outdoors.
Student supervision and discipline is the school's responsibility, and teachers and adults accompanying school groups should actively supervise students at all times. Students should not be unsupervised at any time.
We reserve the right to cancel a booked tour and ask individuals or groups to leave the site immediately, if any action or behaviour is unsafe.
- Complete our venue and safety form
Download and return a signed copy of the relevant form when you arrive for your tour: