Bunyip Fire Assistance

Has your property been damaged?

This information will help you decide what to do and who to contact if your property has been damaged by the Bunyip State Park bushfires. 

If you need immediate assistance please contact the SES on 132 500.

Have you contacted your insurer? 

The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) has declared a catastrophe for properties damaged or destroyed in the Bunyip State Park bushfires. Property owners affected by the bushfires should contact their insurers as soon as possible to lodge claims and seek assistance under their policies. The declaration means claims from affected policyholders will be given priority by insurers. 

If your property has been damaged in the bushfires, the ICA advises you to contact your insurer as soon as possible for information on the claims process and what you are entitled to under your policy.  ICA staff have been mobilised to work directly with local services and affected policyholders. 

If you are unsure about your insurance details or have general inquiries about the claims process, contact the ICA's disaster hotline on 1800 734 621

For more information visit the Understand Insurance website.

Contact Melbourne Water

In the event your insurance company directs you to contact Melbourne Water please use the following contact form:

Location of damage (Required)
If fencing, please include the approximate length and type of  as well as any diagrams(basic) which indicate the location on your property.
We encourage you to upload any files that support your description of loss.
Unlimited number of files can be uploaded to this field.
5 MB limit.
Allowed types: jpg, png, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf.
Please provide any receipts, invoices or quotations which confirm the amount you wish to be reimbursed for.  
We encourage you to upload any files that support your confirmation of costs.
Unlimited number of files can be uploaded to this field.
5 MB limit.
Allowed types: jpg, png, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf.

If you have made a claim with your insurer please provide the following information:

We use reCAPTCHA to protect our website from spam, for more information about the data we collect see our privacy website statement.


More information and support

Financial assistance and support
  • Centrelink: 132 850
  • Insurance Council of Australia:  Claims from affected policy holders will be given priority.  More information: Insurance information
  • Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS): Free financial counselling to farmers and small related businesses who are in, or at risk of financial hardship. Call 1300 045 747 or visit the Rural Financial Counselling website
  • Farm household allowance: A payment for farming families in financial hardship. For information call the Farmers Assistance Hotline on 132 316 (Mon to Fri, 8am to 8pm). For more info read the Agriculture Victoria Gippsland bushfires support programs fact sheet
  • State Trustees: 1300 138 672
  • Superannuation (early access on compassionate grounds): 1300 131 060 
  • Victorian Disaster Legal Aid: 1800 677 402
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria: The Consumer Affairs Victoria website has information and advice about your rights and obligations following an emergency, including on renting and rebuilding (with advice about travelling con men), Insurance, banking and financial hardship, fundraising scams and price rip-offs.
  • Australian Passport Information Service: You may be eligible for a free replacement passport if it has been lost or damaged in the bushfire.  Call 131 232 or visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website for more information.
  • Telstra: 132 203 Register for an assistance package. For more information go to the Telstra website.


Help with fixing or replacing fencing

BlazeAid is offering assistance to fix or replace fencing in areas affected by the Bunyip State Park bushfires.

Farmers: BlazeAid advises farmers to register, even if you do not need volunteer assistance as they may be able to offer financial assistance.

To register: Email [email protected] or contact John Anderson on 0412 382 184 or Sue Anderson  on 0407 834 443

To volunteer/assist: Email [email protected] or contact John or Sue on the numbers above. 

Financial donations can also be made to BlazeAid’s Post and Wire et al Program fund. For more information see the BlazeAid website.

Assistance from Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMVic) 

FFMVIc can assist impacted landowners with 2 types of assistance: 

1. Repair or make good damage to land or assets caused by firefighting operations including:

  • repairs to fences cut or damaged by fire crews (CFA or FFMVic)
  • rehabilitation of dozer and grader control lines

2. Repair of bushfire damaged fences on the boundary of the Bunyip State Park

  • FFMVic will meet 50% of the materials cost to replace or repair fences located between the Bunyip State Park and private land.

Other bushfire damaged property boundary and internal fences are not covered by this assistance. 

Contact FFMVic

If you believe you are eligible, please email [email protected] and provide these details:

  • your name and address
  • type of impact – boundary fence damage, dozer or grader lines, cut fences or other impacts
  • contact details – phone number (and best time to call) and email address

If you do not have email address: call DELWP on 136 186.