To reduce frequent flooding to local residences in Capel Sound, Melbourne Water will be constructing an earthen levee on Chinamans Creek.
Why this is important
Melbourne Water is committed to enhancing life and liveability in your area. These works are to ensure that low-lying properties in Muir Court, Capel Sound, are protected from regular flooding when high-rainfall events cause Chinamans Creek to overtop its banks.
What’s happening and when
It has been determined that a collaborative effort between Mornington Peninsula Shire Council and Melbourne Water will be the most effective solution to mitigate flooding in the area:
- Mornington Peninsula Shire Council has built a drainage pumping system to remove local flows from Muir Court and into Chinamans Creek
- Melbourne Water is constructing an earthen levee parallel to Chinamans Creek to stop high flows entering the Muir Court area.
The section of Chinamans Creek where works will take place is north of Eastbourne Road, Capel Sound.
|Early investigations||An ecologist has been engaged to monitor swamp skink activity in the area prior to construction works commencing.||
|Site mobilisation||Equipment and machinery will be delivered to the site area. A site compound will be established on the east and west side of Chinamans Creek.||Late Nov 2020|
|Vegetation removal||Vegetation in the area where the levee is proposed will be cleared to allow for construction works.||Early Dec 2020|
|Earthen levee construction||An earthen levee will be constructed.||July/Aug 2021|
|Revegetate the levee||Planting appropriate grasses on the levee and surrounding areas.||Aug - Dec 2021|
What to expect
- Monday to Friday: 7am to 6pm
- Saturdays: 9am to 1pm, where required.
We will do everything possible to minimise disruption, however it is likely that nearby residents will notice:
- large trucks and machinery working around the area
- some noise, dust and vibration from construction works
- temporary traffic, pedestrian and cyclist disruption with construction traffic and equipment entering and exiting via Eastbourne Road
- traffic management will be in place to safely guide pedestrians and road users around the work zone.
If you have feedback or would like more information about this project, contact us: