Melbourne Water is undertaking works to the Howard Street pipeline in Reservoir to ensure residents in Melbourne’s north-western suburbs have access to high-quality, safe and reliable drinking water.
In 2017, Melbourne Water started construction of a new 1150 diameter pipe in Preston and Reservoir. Now, we need to return to complete the tie-in connections at both ends, and pressure test and commission the new pipeline.
What’s happening and when
The pipeline connection is at Howard Street and Bernard Street in Reservoir.
Timing – upcoming works in August/September
The installation of the final section of pipeline will begin week commencing Monday 24 August and planned to be completed by Friday 18 September (four weeks), weather permitting.
Works will include installing the final section of pipeline within the road on Howard Street, connecting the existing water supply pipes. This connection point is likely to be up to 5 metres deep within part of the road and nature strip. Works will involve excavation, welding, testing and commissioning of the new pipeline and temporary Yarra Valley Water connection for some households.
What to expect
Construction will occur from:
- Monday to Friday: 7am to 6pm
- Saturday: 7am to 1pm (if required)
You will be advised in writing if we need to work outside these hours.
We are committed to minimising the impact and inconvenience for the community while we deliver these essential works. Please be aware of the following impacts while these works occur:
- Noise, dust and vibration as we install the pipes at the intersection
- Restricted access to some properties during road closures at Howard and Bernard Streets
- Traffic detours, restrictions and lane closures, including rerouting the 555 bus route to Northland
- Temporary closure of the Howard Street and Broadway/High Street bus stops
- Disruption to council bin collections for a small number of houses. We will assist those residences to locate their bins in a suitable collection location.
Melbourne Water would like to thank everyone affected by this project for their patience during the construction period.
We will keep you updated regularly as the project progresses. To contact the project team: