Build over our assets or easements

If you’re planning to build over, or near, any of our easements or underground assets - such as pipes, drains, water mains – it’s called a ‘build over’.

To avoid any damage or community disruption, you’ll need to get our consent before starting any work. Other authorities or private owners may have to give their approval too.

Examples of structures that need our consent:

  • Sheds
  • Swimming pools
  • Gazebo/decking/verandas
  • Landscaping/excavating
  • Tree planting/removal
  • Fences
  • Garages
  • Car ports
  • Driveways
  • Houses/extensions
  • Demolition and earthworks

Build over guidelines

Structures built near our assets must meet our foundation criteria and standard clearance requirements for overland flow paths. This ensures the proposed structures and existing pipe networks are safe.


How to apply

Process time: 28 days

Application fee (non-refundable): see full list of fees

The application fee is to be paid when you submit your application. A bond may also apply, but you don't need to pay this until we approve your application and advise you of the cost.

Contact us

If you need any help to complete this application, contact us on 131 722.

Copyright Melbourne Water