Melbourne Main Sewer Replacement
This project replaced a section of the city’s oldest sewer network, first built between 1894 and 1897. Now fully commissioned, the new main sewer will service the Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs for the next 100 years.
- Work began in late August 2008 and was completed in July 2012
- The project cost $206 million - $14 million under budget
- The 2.3km sewer main travels from Docklands, crossing the Yarra River upstream of the Charles Grimes Bridge, and into Port Melbourne
- The new main sewer provides three times the capacity of the original sewer to cater for Melbourne’s growing inner suburbs including Docklands
- Melbourne Water delivered the works with John Holland, GHD and Aurecon
For more information about this project, please call 131 722 or contact us online.