Goals related to waterways
- Ensure stringent regulatory obligations are met
- Develop and implement efficient capital investment and operations programs
- Manage flood risk
- Improve environmental outcomes from all aspects of our business
- Improve river health and the marine environment
- Improve biodiversity
- Engage and inform the community to seek support for our projects and priorities.
- Finalised and approved the Regional River Health Strategy, which provides a framework for protecting and restoring ecologically important rivers, creeks and wetlands
- Launched stormwater programs to improve water quality in the Yarra and other rivers
- Extended our river health improvement programs and increased levels of community participation
- Extended services to our expanded operating area.
- Failed to complete some waterway plans and significant works projects because consultation with the community and other stakeholders took longer than expected.
- Pressure placed on scarce water resources and aquatic life by extreme drought conditions
- Funding required to meet our aims of improving and protecting our freshwater, estuarine and marine environments
- Increasing pressure placed on the health of waterways and bays by urban development
- Strengthening our connections with the community and other stakeholders
- Flood protection issues associated with unpredictable storm events.